Sunday, February 3, 2008

January 31 st Spaghetti and Comments on Boxed Wines

January 31st – Spaghetti and Meat Sauce (Again) and Comments on Boxed Wine

I had some sauce leftover from the other night so I decided to just use it up and make spaghetti again. Not surprisingly, the sauce was better than a few days ago and made me sit and think, why don’t I make this more often? I did break down and get some inexpensive red wine to go with it. It was a California Malbec that had pleasant fruit but had a weird oakiness that made me think it probably spent a lot of time sitting on oak chips. At $6 it definitely hadn’t spent time in real oak. But with the food, the fake oak quality was subdued and it had a slightly rustic quality I like in wines with tomato sauce.

One of the better cheap wine alternatives I’ve found, actually, is boxed wine, particularly those from Australia, which is where boxed wine was invented. Other wine snobs may cringe at the thought, but it seems that the average box of Australian wine is generally head and shoulders over many other $6 wines. Plus it keeps longer than anything in a bottle. Sometimes you just need an inexpensive but drinkable glass of wine. Most of the Australian wines in boxes are softer styles that accentuate fruitiness and easy drinkability. They are not profound wines and they’re not meant to be. For reds, shiraz and cab seem to be the best bets. For whites, chardonnay and semillon seem the most common. It’d be nice to find a good sauvignon blanc, with it’s melon fruit and crisp acidity, but I haven’t come across any. Most of the brands I’ve tried, Hardy, Jacob’s Creek, and Banrock Station have all been fine. Again, these are everyday drinking and cooking wines, but they have their place and are actually a good buy. There are more and more boxed brands available from other parts of the world and some that I’ve tried have been quite good, but as a general rule, I’ve been happiest overall with the ones from Australia. This last bottle of malbec made me realize I should have invested in one of the boxed alternatives. And yes, I still consider myself a wine snob.

No comments: