Tuesday, January 1, 2008

December 28th

December 28th

I was back to work today and missed lunch so I was hungry when I got home. I really wanted to have some Indian food of some kind, but still had some of the leftover roast beef from Christmas and needed to use it up, so I opted to make roast beef sandwiches and a potato hash on the side.

I like hash of all sorts and did a fairly simple one of potatoes, onions, and some sweet peppers all cooked in olive oil. I normally add the potatoes first, because they need the longest time, then the onions and add the peppers last so they don’t get overcooked. I also added a little bit of crushed red pepper to give it a little spice but nothing too strong.

For the sandwiches, I toasted the rolls, melted a little Swiss cheese on them, and spread some o the leftover horseradish sauce and some mayonnaise. I cut the roast beef thin and added salt and pepper as well and then served them along side the hash.

I had recently kegged some English style pale ale and am very fond of pape, ale and roast beef sandwiches. This pale wasn’t too hoppy, but still had enough bitterness to cut through the richness of the meat and the hash. A simple meal, but good and one that was quick to prepare after missing lunch.

No comments: