Saturday, January 12, 2008

January 9th

January 9th

I called Sears to check on the part and was told I should get it today or tomorrow. I called my wife to let her know and she called me back about 20 minutes later saying it had arrive. In the back of my head, I was afraid that there was more broken than the broiler element, but threw caution to the wind and decided I would plan a meal that required the stove.

I was able to get out of work a little early, which was good since I knew it would take time to put the element in and put the stove back together. My wife started a new batch of Injera because I was confident they would be easy to make in a pan as opposed to on the griddle. I got some chicken thighs on the way home because I thought I would make some Doro Wat, which is an Ethiopian chicken stew. We still had lentils leftover, so all I’d need to do was make the chicken and the bread.

I got home and went to work on the stove. We got the new element in and turned the stove on. It was still dead. There was much swearing. Not knowing what t do, I did what I did the first time. I stared at the wring on the back and looked at the wiring diagram utterly confused by how to read it and how to test the other components. On a whim, I unplugged the stove, went to the electrical panel and then turned the breaker off and back on. I went up stairs, and plugged the stove in. I turned it on and….IT WENT ON!!!!! Feeling like Man-the-Toolmaker, I went and proclaimed my greatness to my wife. We tested all fo the other components and everything worked. I was about to put the back on and slide it back into place when I realized that we had neglected to put to cover panels into the oven. The broiler element is supposed to slide through them and I had forgotten to put them in.

Now we had to wait until the broiler cooled, remove it, but the plates in and then re-do it. I went and got a pint of the spiced Belgian triple to wait it out, hoping that I could patiently wait it out. I couldn’t and had to check it every few minutes. Finally it was cool enough to handle and we took it out, put the cover plates in and then put the element back in. We reconnected everything and turned the stove on. Dead again. Not knowing what to do, I went and threw the breaker off and on again. Still dead. I jiggle the plug. Still dead. I reattached the broiler element wires and then jiggle the plug and it came back to life. Afraid that I’d lose it again, I put the back panels on and slid it into place. I tested it again and it was fine. We had survived a week without our stove.

I started the chicken and got it going before attempting the breads. I had assumed they would be easier with a non-stick fry pan. I was wrong. Flipping tem proved harder than on the griddle, where I was able to pick them up by hand and flip them. In the fry pan there wasn’t enough room, and flipping them by hand lead to numerous burns and much cursing. I was bale to get a few that were ok and used them to line the plates and out the food on. We also had just a few breads to use to pick up the food. The meal was fabulous (especially with more bitter on the side), even if the breads had been less than successful. It may be time to research them more. I will find a recipe to make them successfully, but I foresee more burns and cursing before I do. At least we have a stove again.

No comments: