Saturday, January 12, 2008

January 10th

January 10th

The second Thursday of the month is normally the monthly Oregon Brew Crew meeting, which means something quick to eat. The club served food at each meeting to make sure that people aren’t drinking on empty stomachs, but I normally still will eat before I go over. On night’s when I need to make something instant I often just will eat some kind of frozen veggie pattie. My current favorites are the Grillers from Morningstar Farms, but I’ve gone through boxes of Garden Burgers and Boca Burgers as well down through the years. I’m not sure what it is about them, but I’m still a sucker for them. They’re really about the only instant frozen food that I eat.

I brought a bottle of homebrewed gueuze and some of the Triple de Noel to the meeting to share. I’m pleased with the Triple at this point. It still needs to clear out a little more, but the flavors are well integrated and it has a good hop aroma from the American hops, which are atypical for the style. Had several nice homebrews including an interesting and hoppy squash pale ale, a strong saison, and a great fireweed honey mead. I was also lucky enough to taste a 2005 Stone Imperial Stout. I’m not always a huge fan of the style and sometimes Stone’s beers can be a little too “in your face” for my tastes, but this had matured very nicely and had rounded out. It still wasn’t a session beer, but it shows how rounded this beer can get if you give it time.

Next months meeting is in the brewery space of the Green Dragon which should be interesting. Not sure if they’re brewing yet, but I’m looking forward to trying Lolo’s beers.

No comments: