Thursday, January 31, 2008

January 29th - More Indian Food and Brown Ale

January 29th – More Indian Food

So I appear to be on the ground beef roll here. It’s been three nights in a row where ground beef is the cornerstone of the meal. I still had some cabbage and carrots leftover from last Sunday and needed to use them so I decided to make some keema, the ground meat Indian dish, to go with it and to make a meal out of it.

I started by sautéing onions in oil until they were browned and then added ginger, garlic, ground coriander, cumin, fenugreek, turmeric, green chili, dried red chili and garam masala. Once all of the spices had cooked a little, I added the meat and browned it. I added some water and turned it down to a simmer. The dish smelled great but was a little bland looking. I wished I had some peas to add to give it some color but only had some spinach on hand. It’s not traditional, but there are keema saag dishes, so I figured it would work and it did add a nice note of color to the food. I served the keema, the reheated cabbage and the carrots (which I served room temperature) with some rice and pulled a pint of Brown ale, which has turned out to be a great beer with spicy food. Quick and it helped me clear out the fridge.

No comments: